Texas allows concealed handguns to be legally carried with a CHL (concealed handgun license) issued by Texas or by a state, which Texas recognizes. If a license holder is in possession of a concealed handgun, they must produce their concealed weapons license along with another valid identification upon the demand of a police officer. Private property owners are allowed to prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns on their property if they provide proper legal notice of trespassing by a CHL holder with a concealed handgun given.
Notice may be given verbally or in writing with a statutory warning or by signage with the statutory warning in English and Spanish, in one-inch high block letters posted in a conspicuous place. Further, even with a CHL, these weapons may not be carried concealed under the following circumstances.
Concealed Weapons May Not Be Permitted Under These Circumstances
- A concealed handgun cannot be carried while the person is intoxicated.
- At an amusement park if a proper warning in accordance to the law is given.
- In a place of religious worship if a proper warning in accordance to the law is given.
- In a hospital or nursing home if a proper warning in accordance to the law is given.
- At any correctional facility or within 1000 feet of a correctional facility designated as a place of execution on a day of execution if proper notice is posted.
- In any court or offices used by a court unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization from the court.
- At any polling place on Election Day.
- At any meeting of any governmental body if proper warning in accordance to the law is given.
- At any high school, collegiate, professional sporting event or interscholastic event, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event.
- At any racetrack.
- Inside any building or passenger transportation vehicle of a public or private school or educational institution.
- In the premises of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which derives 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages and has a conspicuous warning prohibiting firearms, if posted.
- Inside the secured area of any airport, however a person may carry any legal firearm into the terminal that is encased for shipment purposes and checked as baggage to be lawfully transported on an aircraft pursuant to airline and TSA regulations.
This is a general article for example purposes. As always, please contact us at 979-821-2663 regarding your specific case.